Thread: Adding a second light

Hybrid View

Default Adding a second light

I only have one Duckworks light installed on ye olde 7A but decided the other day I'd like to put another one in for wig-wag effect. Ordered it, then noticed I'm out of 10amp pins on the VP-50. Any suggestions.

BTW, I made a little vid the other day of hooking up stuff to the VP-50 here.
    Bob Collins
    RV Builder's Hotline
    http://rvbuildershotline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Collins View Post
    I only have one Duckworks light installed on ye olde 7A but decided the other day I'd like to put another one in for wig-wag effect. Ordered it, then noticed I'm out of 10amp pins on the VP-50. Any suggestions.
    There are multiple ways to accomplish your goals. It's difficult being specific without seeing your schematic.

1) Combine devices from two ports to a single port, freeing up one for your second light.

2) Attach a fuse block to a port, then it will allow you to hook multiple items to the fuse block. I did this on my RV-10 when I ran out of ports on my VP-200.

3) Play musical chairs with your open ports to free up a 10amp one. The way you stated your issue, it sounds like you may have other ports open, just not a 10a one.

I can email you my VP-200 schematic if you like. It may give you some ideas.

bob
    ----
    Bob Leffler
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler
    RV-10 - Flying

There's been a software upgrade for the VP-50 so now switch #7 -- a momentary switch -- will enable wigwag on any two pins. So both of the light have to come to pins and both take 10 amp circuits, of which there are only two on the VP-50. Presently, I have one assigned to the comm radio and one assigned to the flap motor.

There are three 18A circuits. One has one of the landing lights on it now. One has the Whelen power supply and one has the fuel boost pump on it . I don't want to move the strobes off VP because I want to use the switches, on the control panel for lights.

I could move the fuel boost pump off there. Presently, have a on-off-on switch in which one direction is drawing power from VP and one is drawing power from the fuse block. If I move it off VP, I don't have a backup circuit for an item I really wanted a backup circuit for.

Frustratingly, I still have three spare 5 amp circuits I'm not using (actually four since my load planning sheet has a backup alternator pinned that I don't have yet and probably won't install until after I'm flying).

I wonder if it's possible that a future software upgrade could convert a 5 amp circuit to a 10 amp circuit? That would really give the builder some much-needed flexibility.

Right now, I'm leaning toward moving the flaps off the VP since there's no switching function being used and it would be easy to remove that wire, put on a space connector and plug it into the fuse block.
    Bob Collins
    RV Builder's Hotline
    http://rvbuildershotline.com

I wonder if it's possible that a future software upgrade could convert a 5 amp circuit to a 10 amp circuit? That would really give the builder some much-needed flexibility.
    Marc will need to confirm, but I suspect that max amps is a hardware limitation. It would have been nice if they were all 18a, but I suspect that would have added significantly to cost and perhaps weight.

Right now, I'm leaning toward moving the flaps off the VP since there's no switching function being used and it would be easy to remove that wire, put on a space connector and plug it into the fuse block.
    That sounds like the best option, short of upgrading to a VP-X.

bob
    ----
    Bob Leffler
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler
    RV-10 - Flying