Thread: dynon transponder

Default dynon transponder

Do I need to create a Pin on the VPX for the dynon transponder (skyview) or does it operate via the skyview?

The Dynon installation manual shows transponder power coming from the aircraft power bus (VP-X).

got it..thx Marc. By the way great planning tool you have put together. Certainly helping a novice like me to plan my electrical stuff, (and may have very well sealed me on buying the vp-x) great product, thanks again

Is there a way to use the airspeed from the Skyview to automatically turn on the transponder power? I know this is possible with the flaps.

There is a feature that disables the flap down switch above a specified airspeed.

We do not have a feature in the VP-X that can switch devices on and off based on airspeed.

The Manual shows that the transponder must be connected to system power. I want to go with all soft switches. What happens if I connect radio and transponder to the VPX unit?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Peterson View Post
    The Manual shows that the transponder must be connected to system power. I want to go with all soft switches. What happens if I connect radio and transponder to the VPX unit?
    This may be the answer you're looking for ? ---

Yes, connect radio and Transponder direct to the VP however you can still use the 'soft switches' to turn them off/on via the external switch input on connector J2, or you can use 1 of them as an avionics 'master' switch to turn them all on or off, see page 35 of the manual rev 1.3 - note you assign the devices to an external switch in the setup menu.

HTH

Jake J

Thanks, I want only one switch, the Avionics Master. Want everything to come on with that.
    What had me confused was that the manual said that the xponder had to be connected through a breaker to Plane power.

I think you can consider all of the power pins on the VP-X to be similar to breakers (or smart breakers). So if a device calls for a breaker (or fuse) any of the VP-X power pins will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Peterson View Post
    Thanks, I want only one switch, the Avionics Master. Want everything to come on with that.
    What had me confused was that the manual said that the xponder had to be connected through a breaker to Plane power.
    Can you tell me where it says that?

Since the Dynon AHRS, engine monitor and other modules connect directly to the display for power, we've had some customers think that the transponder connects to the displays for power. It does not. It connects to the power bus. Either directly to a VP-X power pin, or for old-fashion wiring it goes to a breaker and power bus.

Hope that clarifies it.

Marc, I got your manual and the Dynon manual mixed up. The Dynon Manual said it had to go direct to the Main Buss and I thought I was in the Vertical Power manual.
    I now have them in two different binders.
    Never did like reading instructions.
    Thanks for being kind to old people.

Rog